Awesome Crazy

Radio

Offline DancingLadyTopic starter

• +0/-0
Radio
on: 1:24 am Friday, October 17, 2014
I still listen to the radio a lot, like most of the time when I am home and awake.  I own some music on my ipod but most of the time I just listen to the radio.  I know a lot of people who only listen to their ipods or other music they own. 

Radio seems to be less popular with younger people these days, which is really unfortunate. Radio stations provide you with a much wider variety of songs than you could probably afford to buy unless you are petty well off.  I listen to KLOVE most of the time, which is a Christian pop music station that is entirely listener supported, no commercials.  I would never be able to hear very many of the songs they play if I was only listening to the music I buy.

Offline Alundra

• The Local Alan key
  • +17/-0
  • Just keep truckin'
Re: Radio
Reply #1 on: 5:53 pm Friday, October 17, 2014
We used to run radio from this forum. We had between 4 and 8 stations :D.

Offline sweetkymom

• +0/-0
Reply #2 on: 9:04 pm Friday, October 17, 2014
I listen to the radio all the time. Its constantly playing over my tv. My husband and kids get so annoyed because of it.

Offline DancingLadyTopic starter

• +0/-0
Reply #3 on: 3:30 am Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Oh, that would annoy me too, I can't stand to have conflicting radios in the house, or TV and radio at the same time.  My brain doesn't know what to listen too and it just feels so noisy.

Offline LoveKai

• +0/-0
Reply #4 on: 3:36 am Tuesday, October 28, 2014
I only listen to the radio in the car. There is a morning radio show that I enjoy and it's usually on when I'm out and about. It's how I keep up with what is going on in pop music. If I am at home, I listen to the music I own. I have a really big song library so I never lack for variety. 

Offline Happyflowerlady

• +17/-0
  • Vagabond Flower Child......
Reply #5 on: 2:46 pm Thursday, December 4, 2014
I used to listen to the radio, but i really never listen to it any more. At night when we went to bed, I would turn on the local AM station, and we listened to Coast-to-Coast AM every night. I usually fell asleep listening to it, and would wake up on and off during the night and listen a little bit and then go back to sleep. It really frustrated me when I wanted to actually listen to something on there and then coulld not stay awake to listen. It costs to get a membership, but then you can listen any time you want.
The show goes most of the night, so it is a long time to just sit there and listen to it in the daytime anyway.
Now, I either listen to Pandora, or to Spotify, and use the headphones with my iPad. That way, I don't disturb my husband, and he can watch what he wants to and listen on his headphones, too.
It works well for both of us that way. 

Offline jed_watsadamen

• +3/-0
  • Hey There!
Reply #6 on: 5:31 pm Monday, August 24, 2015
I love listening to the radio. I like listening to the radio in a way that the songs being played is unpredictable since the playlist would depend on the DJ on board.  I listen to the radio whenever I am in the car, which is almost everyday, since I drive to and from work. It's also great that my favorite radio station is accessible on the internet by way of online streaming so at work, I also listen to the radio.

I like radio stations that play mostly music and not the kind that has too much advertisement or commentaries by the DJ. I also dislike listening to the news on the radio. I prefer watching the news on TV.

Offline NorthernLights

• +7/-1
  • Hail Hydra!
Reply #7 on: 12:10 am Monday, August 31, 2015
Like everyone else I listen to the radio in my car. When I get home I'm typically on my laptop anyway and don't time for any other appliance but I doubt that radio stations will become obsolete due to the amount of traffic these days. It's predicted that the average commute will go up by 10 mins in 2 years due to the amount of cars being bought everyday.

I like listening to Spotify radio (internet) when I workout or jog though and it's sorta like a radio but it doesn't process radio waves.

Offline Amy Lanotte

• +0/-0
Reply #8 on: 7:00 am Friday, October 23, 2015
We listen to the radio in my office (a weight loss clinic). Our atmosphere is professional, friendly and positive. The station we play offers a mix of 60's, 70's and 80's. The music is upbeat, and most people really enjoy it. Occasionally, someone will switch to "easy listening" or country, and energy and productivity is diminished.
 Also, being in an office from 9:00 - 7:00, sometimes the radio is our" link to the outside world".

Offline Alundra

• The Local Alan key
  • +17/-0
  • Just keep truckin'
Reply #9 on: 4:24 pm Saturday, October 24, 2015
Yeah the radio would keep you in the loop if anything major happened for sure! And it would offer the occasional funny talkback titbit as well which is always nice.

Offline short.cake

• +6/-1
Reply #10 on: 4:24 pm Tuesday, November 3, 2015
The only time I listen to the radio is if I'm in my car. It is an older radio, I've never updated it, so I can't connect it to my phone for music. So I catch the local channels a few times a week.

When I was a teen back in the late 70's, early 80's, having a 'boom box' was the most awesome thing ever! I remember every night on my local 'top 40' station, from 9-10 pm they would play the top 10 songs requested that day. OMG, me and my girlfriends would call repeatedly to hear our favorite hit of the day.

Then we would use our blank cassette and record our songs. They sounded so bad, and usually had the DJ talking at the beginning and end of the song, but we didn't care. We would get together and sing those songs for hours! Especially during the summer...it was like karaoke every night with us girls.  XD

As a teen, I loved the radio and knew the words to all of the top pop songs. Good times.

Offline Happyflowerlady

• +17/-0
Reply #11 on: 9:50 am Thursday, November 5, 2015
I seriously HATE having the radio playing when I am driving somewhere in the car, unless it is a long road-trip.  When I am traveling alone and going cross-country, then I do enjoy having music to listen to, either from the car radio or from a player when no stations are available.

When I am just driving around town, I want to be able to hear everything that is going on around me, and not be distracted by anything else.
I do not even answer my cell phone when I am driving unless I think that it is an important call, and then I will pull off of the road and park when able to do that.
About the only time that I listen to music is when I just am at home, and relaxing, or when I want music to exercise with.

Offline lady grantham

• +4/-0
Reply #12 on: 9:07 pm Tuesday, November 10, 2015
i used to listen to a lot of mainstream stations. (meaning stations that are local or national) stuff like radio 1, capital, heart, those sorts of stations.

a few years ago for christmas, i baught myself an internet radio- and since then i've not looked back. the internet has so much more to offer in terms of music, and i can now listen to anything from anywhere.

if i want to listen to rock from australia, rap from the US, or folk from scotland.. i can do it. it's so much more varied and i love variety

Offline May

• +1/-0
  • Writing a novel that will never be finished...
Reply #13 on: 7:13 pm Thursday, November 12, 2015
I listen to it in the car mostly for the news and I keep a radio on hand for emergencies (because internet is slow or fluctuating in my country, especially during heavy rains). I also like listening to it to find out what songs are popular right now - I've heard many songs for the first time on the radio. I like the variety of songs I do hear - there are a lot of songs I would definitely not have heard that I do like if not for radio.

I used to listen to the love advice radio show at late nights because of my sister keeping the radio on when she slept. Learned a lot of things rather early because of such...

Sadly, I've never won anything on radio contests (maybe now is the time to try because there are more people using the internet now? Or not since I'm just unlucky in general with contests...).

A few months ago we had a city wide earthquake drill and the alert was played on radio, so yes, it's still very useful. (So many far flung areas also still have poor internet reception, but radio signals are steady.)

@short.cake: I used to record songs too on the radio because I didn't have enough money to buy the cassette albums I wanted (or if I only liked one song from that artist) - I think I still have some of them lying around somewhere.  :S

Offline lady grantham

• +4/-0
Reply #14 on: 9:07 pm Thursday, November 12, 2015
may,

i know what you mean about having a radio on standby.

last year, their was a massive powercut and it was a good thing i kept my little battery operated radio.

gave me something to do

Reply #15 on: 2:00 pm Saturday, November 21, 2015
I would turn on the local AM station, and we listened to Coast-to-Coast AM every night.

Oh, did I love listening to Art Bell.  What a great paranormal themed show he had. He had some amazing guests on with very interesting subject matter.  After George Noory took over, I quit listenening.  George just didn't have the appeal that Art had.

I know he's on radio again, but haven't listened to his new show.  I have a Grace Digital Wi-Fi radio and tried connecting to Art Bell's new show Dark Matter Digital Radio and followed all the directions to do so, but was unable to connect.  I might give it another try online from the website at:  http://artbell.com/listen-art-bell/

Offline lyss

• +0/-0
Reply #16 on: 5:22 pm Sunday, November 29, 2015
In my car and even in my room my speakers are bluetooth compatible. I use to like to listen to the radio all the time, but I feel like now whenever I do turn the radio on I end up listening to more commercials then songs. I think that its easier for me to download all my favorite music and jam with no interruptions. When I'm getting ready in the morning it usually ends with my family telling me to turn it down cause its too early.

Offline lady grantham

• +4/-0
Reply #17 on: 8:31 pm Sunday, November 29, 2015
downloading/ internet radio is slowly taking over mainstream.

and i'm not surprised

so much technology out their these days

of course local stations still have their share of the audiences (not everyone is connected to the internet), but it's fading in popularity- that's for sure

Offline Alundra

• The Local Alan key
  • +17/-0
  • Just keep truckin'
Reply #18 on: 8:02 pm Sunday, January 17, 2016
I'm actually madly in love with Kiss FM right now. It's really good! It's all mixes and I just love it.

http://kissfm.com.au/

Offline Happyflowerlady

• +17/-0
Reply #19 on: 4:04 am Monday, January 18, 2016
I rarely turn on the radio just to listen to music anymore. I much prefer using a website like Pandora or Spotify, where you can choose your own music, or at least the type of music you want.
Pandora lets you pick stations based on a type of song that you like, or an artist that you enjoy, and then you can add in other singers to add variety to each station.
Spotify,on the other hand, lets you choose a playlist of exactly the songs that you want to hear, and I like that, too.  So, one or the other of these methods is perfect for when I want to listen to music.

I also listen to online radio, and usually find programs on YouTube of talk shows that I want to listen to. Many of the old Art Bell programs are on YouTube now, and I also like John B. Wells, Caravan to Midnight, which is similar to Art's program.
One station that I like is called Truth Frequency Radio, and they have several programs on there that I find interesting . I particularly like listening to the flat earth news programs, and the new discoveries that come out all of the time are just amazing !